Not too much to report on this week. Here are some great things I read in the last seven days:
- Turkey Tweak: Grill It!
- Women are their own worst enemies, study finds. Sometimes it sucks to be a girl.
- Senate to Equal Pay for Women: Drop Dead. A potentially awesome bill that might have helped close the gap in pay between men and women is DOA.
- Women in the Netherlands work less, have lesser titles and a big gender pay gap, and they love it. An interesting juxtaposition to the previous article.
- Want to live longer? Eat less. And here’s why. Interesting article on calorie restriction.
- Epilepsy’s Big, Fat Miracle. A crazy-cool article on how epilepsy can be managed by a very high-fat (90%) diet.
And here are some useful sites that are not new to this past week, but I want to share anyway:
- Khan Academy. A former hedge fund analyst started making videos on various science and math-y topics to tutor his cousins remotely. Turns out that he’s quite good at taking complicated subjects and explaining them via YouTube. He has videos on everything from Harmonic Motion (physics) to Organic Chemistry to basic Math and more.
- Cal Newport’s Blog, Study Hacks. He’s the author of 3 books, How to Be a High School Superstar, How to Become a Straight-A Student, and How to Win at College. He has great tips for non-students, too.
- Joshua Bell plays violin in a metro station. No one notices. This says something about our ability to appreciate beauty in unexpected places.
Think that’s it! Come back for Healthy Monday tomorrow. I haven’t decided what I am posting about yet.
6 Replies to “Weekend Link Love – 11.21.2010”
That’s one of those things that still makes me furious… how could we in 2010, nearly 2011 not have equal pay yet?!?!?!?! >:(
I have heard of calorie restriction and read that article. Been there, done that. There is truth in the fact that if you don’t stuff yourself with food that’s bad for you (meat, meat, and more meat) odds are you’ll live longer than someone who does! But I really don’t believe in half starving yourself like that.
@Marina: haha, totally. I would definitely not want to live like that again either.
OMG! GIRL! What a nice surprise to see me on here 🙂 You so presh!
@Erin: Meant to put it up weeks ago! My memory is crap 😛
I’d hate to live a long life being hungry and deprived. It would be lame that if I died, people would say about me, “well, at least she was thin”.
Great links Maggie. I love that Erin is back blogging again, and I’m intrigued by Khan Academy – what a cool concept. Wish it would have existed back when I was struggling through chemistry class.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 🙂
P.S. Your mom is awesome.
Comments are closed.