I made this salad ages ago (early January) and almost forgot to post, but it was so good that I just had to. It’s a Whole Foods-inspired recipe and it’s quite good. Back in January I was in a kale phase so I made this several times and each time it did not disappoint.
Butternut Kale Salad (Whole Foods Inspired Recipe)
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1/4 cup water + 1/2 veggie boullion cube (or vegetable broth)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 10 ounces chopped butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt + pepper
- chopped romaine lettuce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Toss the chopped squash with the olive oil and a little salt. Roast for 30 minutes, or until it’s done to your liking.
- Rip up the kale into pieces, removing the stems.
- Heat the water in a sauce pan over medium-high heat; add the veggie cube, honey, and vinegar. Mix until dissolved.
- Add the kale pieces to the broth and cook briefly, while stirring (30 seconds to a minute) until the kale begins to wilt. Remove from heat immediately.
- Mix together the roasted squash and the kale; add salt and pepper as desired.
- Optionally, serve over chopped romaine lettuce – a salad on a salad!
I served this with my Indian brown rice, which you can see in the picture. Recently, my squash consumption has mostly been kabocha squash, but I see some kale/butternut creations in my future.
What’s your favorite way to eat kale? To eat squash?
My favorite way to eat kale is in a massaged kale salad. My favorite squash/way to eat it is – chop a very ripe kabocha and steam it for about 5 minutes. Freeze it for 5 minutes so it cools to room temp. Enjoy plain 🙂
P.S. I’m definitely going to write a followup to Sunday’s post – got some great comments and did some more research.
5 Replies to “Butternut Kale Salad (Whole Foods Inspired Recipe)”
I just had a huge salad with a bunch of broccoli, onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc, butternut squash, canned wild salmon, garlic spices, and balsamic + TB EVOO combined for dressing.
I wish I could trust myself enough to do a “vegetarian ” meal like that; but I’m needing to gain weight and have it stuck in my head that I need to up the calories and therefore need to add a protein source (in form of animals) at every meal. Since my digestion is so poor, grains and beans scare me because I’m worried they’ll make it worse.
Yours looks good.
Mmmmmmm, I like the combination kale and squash a lot! My favorite ways to eat them are stir fried with cinnamon or baked in the oven. 🙂
Great salad, Maggie! I like to saute kale and roast squash…then combine them. 🙂
Thanks for the recipe. I love butternut. And kale is one of my all-time favorite foods. Have you tried it with flax seed oil instead of olive oil? Mmmm.
This looks great. I have been coming around to the idea of trying kale and this looks really yummy!
Comments are closed.