My sister came into town last night. She has off today, so we are headed up to Providence to visit Brown (she is a senior in high school). We’re taking the Peter Pan bus (just $29.95 RT from NYC to Providence). I miss Julia! She was my maid of honor. She is also a vegetarian (going on 10 years probably – she hasn’t eaten meat since she was about 7).
I still love looking at my wedding photos. (Tarantino Photo -> Featured Events -> Maggie & Robert. If you want the password to my gallery just email me.)
Last night when she arrived it was pouring rain. We decided to have a simple dinner at the Whole Foods hot/cold bar and we followed it up with The Lite Choice. Always a favorite. When we got home we enjoyed some digestive tea (from Coco!) sweetened with NuNaturals stevia (Julia loved it – she will probably be buying it herself).
We got girly and painted our nails. I got a new Essie color: silver. I almost always paint my nails a dark shimmery brown/red so this was a big change.
There were grapes.
And we watched an episode of Taboo, a show on National Geographic about weird things in different cultures (on Netflix streaming).
And then Julia conked out. She’s been working like crazy – the (amazingly smart) girl is taking 5 AP classes, she works at an organic farm, she volunteers, she’s in clubs, and she has a very busy social life.
Do you have siblings? What do you do together?
Lots of goodies for you this week.
Around the Web
- The New York Times has a great article on the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis – Does Your Language Shape the Way You Think?
- My old nutrition professor contributed to this new site: The Simple Skillet. It’s a free meal-planning website with grocery lists, recipes, nutrition info, and lots of other resources. I will send her any feedback you have!
- Huffington Post article by a guy who traveled the world for 3 years. He learned a lot.
Food & Beauty
- Have you heard of 7-Up Cake? I might try it.
- Eden’s lessons from culinary school. Useful! And funny. (This is from a blog, but it goes here because it’s food.)
- If you live in NYC, please use this awesome waxing place. I just found her this week. Cash/check only, tax & tip included.
- Albina’s Spa has the best facial ever. It is a little bit pricey, but Albina is knowledgeable, explains everything she’s doing, and helps you figure out what you need to do to make your skin glow.
That’s about it! Do you have any Saturday finds for me?
It is HOT in New York. HOT HOT HOT. Currently (8pm) my weather widget says:
95 degrees F (35 C). What is the best thing to do on a hot day? Get your nails done of course! (I actually had these done yesterday, which was almost as hot.)
This is a “UV manicure” which is supposed to last up to 2 weeks. We’ll just see about that. If it does I will never go back to regular manis, which only last 2 days for me. So far it hasn’t chipped, so it’s off to a good start 😉 The woman put a kind of gel on my nails that hardened; then she put on the color. I love dark nails – I always go for dark red/brown/purple, even in the summer. I think I will do purple for the wedding (it’ll be tasteful). Speaking of the wedding…
We got Bobby’s wedding band today. It’s very nice but you’ll have to wait until after the wedding to see it.
Oh, this is a food blog? Okay! Here is my lunch:
It’s a grilled cheese sandwich with tomatoes. I put it in Mr. George Foreman before I left for work. It was a li’l soggy by lunchtime but still yummy.
I made Bobby a similar sandwich this weekend – just grilled chicken (love you, George) with tomato; sauces were mayonnaise and teriyaki sauce… (same bread and tomato as mine):
He liked it.
Exercise of the day: Pick Your Level: Weight Loss Pilates with Ellen Barrett (Netflix). Walk home from work (1.4 miles). Walk to Tiffany’s and to dinner (Chipotle) (1.5 miles).
Was it hot where you live? What did you do to beat the heat?