On Monday I set out to do the Keri Glassman’s 8-Foods Cleanse.
Keri just posted the cleanse instructions and shopping list on her blog so I think I can share the plan here.
For 4 days, eat the same thing each day – and that is:
- Breakfast: 1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites (scrambled), ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Snack: 1 medium Granny Smith apple, ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Lunch: Lentil Spinach Salad (spinach, ½ cup cooked lentils, 1 hard-boiled egg, and 1 teaspoon olive oil)
- Snack: ½ cup artichoke hearts OR 1 small steamed artichoke with a squeeze of lemon
- Dinner: Salmon Spinach Salad (1 cup spinach, 4 ounces grilled salmon, and ¼ avocado)
You can go get the shopping list at the post I linked to above.
I made some modifications due to some digestive issues (IBS). Some of the foods above cause bloating for me, such as lentils and apples. I am going to sub out lentils with a fish protein – some type of canned seafood (I have tuna, clams, and crab). I am going to sub out the apples with oranges or papaya. I hope that is OK!
The way I picked my substitutions is loosely based on the FODMAPS plan – it does work for me, when I stick with it. More about this later I think. Elise is a fodmapper too and she has lots of good tips.
Anyway… wish me luck! Today is the first day of truly following the plan. I have to go prep my food and get to work.
Happy Wednesday! How has your week been so far?
Mine has been good – I managed to find the curtain rod I’ve been needing (had to go to 3 different West Elms in the last week to find it).
I was able to get it in the 28″-48″ size for my one window last Saturday, but I needed the 44″-108″ for the other window. Now my bedroom is almost complete 🙂 I got the darker one, the “rubbed iron” color.
A few weeks ago I received a copy of Keri Glassman’s new book, The New You and Improved Diet: 8 Rules to Lose Weight and Change Your Life Forever (it’s on the the Kindle too).
I was very excited for this book because Keri’s 3 taglines for this book are:
- Eat more, not less!
- Catch some zzz’s!
- And have more sex (you heard me!)
Sounds like a plan anyone in their right mind would want to follow and enjoy following – nothing like the typical restrictive diet.
Keri catapults you right into her plan. She intros a quickstart “Eight Foods Cleanse” early on – page 27 to be exact. I figured if I am going to give this book a proper review (to come…) I should at least try out the cleanse. To be honest, I haven’t ever really followed a proper “diet” plan. I generally just try to eat less/move more. I’m really interested to see if I feel any different at the end of this “cleanse”. In the past I’ve tried doing the “raw/juicing” thing, “macrobiotic“, etc…
Cleanse… yes, that word with bad connotations. Keri’s 8 Foods Cleanse is not really a cleanse in the usual sense of the word – no long days of sipping juices with your stomach rumbling – this cleanse is simply eating a few simple, wholesome foods for just 4 short days.
I am jumping right in today, though I did make a few mods based on what I had in my kitchen this morning (yes this was a last minute decision). I’ll go shopping tonight for the proper ingredients! Here’s what my day will look like:
- Breakfast is 1 egg and 2 egg whites with black pepper and ground black sesame (those spices are my own touch on this). I’m also having a cup of organic coffee with unsweetened almond milk and this chocolate stevia (Thanks Ron!). (Keri’s plan doesn’t include coffee… I am easing my way into this, so I’m gonna have it for now.)
- No morning snack – I have breakfast ~10am so there is no time for a snack before lunch.
- Lunch – a salad of romaine, seaweed, tomato, apple (leftovers) + 1/2 cup chickpeas + 1 hard boiled egg + 2 teaspoons EVOO. (Yum!)
- Snack: 1 Ronnybrook plain whole milk yogurt with cinnamon. (This is what I have in the fridge – this is off plan.)
- Dinner: TBD – Salmon & greens I believe, and I need to go get an avocado.
This cleanse may be a little low in calories, but it’s only 4 days – and after a few months of indulging (during renovations we didn’t have a kitchen – and even if you’re careful, eating out for every single meal can get really old really fast). I think I can follow it for 4 days and then start adding in more of Keri’s favorite Empowering Foods.
I’ll be back later with my take on the rest of Keri’s Diet Rules – one of them is “Clean Out Your Closet” – so you know I am gonna love it.