Every Sunday morning I go to the farmers’ market. There is one right on the corner of my block. Today I got delicious fresh bread from Bread Alone (Whole Wheat Catskill Bread) and eggs from my favorite organic stand.
In my fridge I have a jar of homemade dill pickles from Maria.
Of course I had to make egg salad.
We each ended up having 2x what you see here. (Bobby’s is the one with sriracha, mine is the regular.)
Simple Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 5 small-medium eggs (if you have bigger eggs, 4 will suffice)
- 3-4 tablespoons mayo (don’t skimp – this is what makes it good)
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- < 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (you don’t need much; the pickles have salt)
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (optional – if you want more tang)
To hard-boil the eggs: put eggs in a pan in water with ~1 inch of water above them. Turn the heat to high. Once boiling, let it boil for one minute. Remove from heat and let them sit in the hot water for ~15 minutes. Then dunk in ice-cold water for 3-5 minutes. (This makes it easier to take the shell off.) Crack the shell and remove it.
Chop the eggs in small pieces. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Serve on top of fresh bread.
Do you like egg salad? What do you put in your favorite version?